Monday, December 3, 2007

A Journal of the Plague Year

What I read was sad with a whole lot of death and sorrow. I could not imagine myself seeing death around me literally 24/7. I think that I would go mentally insane. I think that it was a great idea to keep people away from pits full of dead bodies, but who would want to go to a pit full of dead bodies anyway? I understand that this man wanted to go to church, but never says the reason. I'm guessing the reason why is because there was so much death that seemed like the most sacred place, "I got admittance into the churchyard by being acquainted with the sexton who attended".

"This was a mournful scene indeed, and affected me almost as much as the rest; but the other was awful and full of terror. The cart had in it sixteen or seventeen bodies; some were wrapt up in linen sheets, some in rags, some little other than naked", This would have terrified me. This kind of reminds me of the Hulcoast. This breaks my heart that many families went through a horrible crisis like this. I could not imagine my family being destroied by one disease. I think that going to church was a bright idea. Just getting away from it all and letting your heartbeat with God's.

No comments: