Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Thursday October 18, 2007 3:30-5:30

Well today my Mentor Mr. Ben picked me up from my high schoool so we could study the rhythems of drums. He reconized our princepal Mr. Hunter from a magizine, which i found interesting and a complement. As we drove to our destination he asked "What type of music I was interested in?" My answer to that question was rap and R&B. Mr. Ben asked me if I have listen any type of Rock. I told him I have listen to Linkin Park and some others that I can't name off the top of my head. We got to our destination which was called Nuci. Mr.Ben explained to me that Nuci came about because a mother lost her son to depression. So, Nuci is place for musicans and anyone who has depression or just needs to talk to someone they could come there and get the help they need. Not only that Nuci is place where musicans who have no where to practice can rent a room and practice there, also they can rent anything that might need from Nuci at the counter at anytime.

We got to Nuci and Mr. Ben introduced me to some of the staff. He explained that he was mentoring me and I wanted to learn how to play the drums. The guys gave me some encouragments saying that if I could play the Violin I could play the drums which put a smile on my face.

The guy behinde the counter gave us room nine. All the rooms were sound proof so no matter how loud or bad I played no one could hear me. So he got started getting things set up so I could play and gave me my own set of sticks. That excited me. When Mr. Ben got everything set up correct he showed me what he wanted me to start out with. I started out playing the snare drum with left hand and beating the bass with my right foot in fours. Then Mr. Ben switched it up a bit and had me play the snare, bass and tom-tom at the same time. That I did not get so quickly. He left the room for while to see if it would help if he was out the room, but it didn't. Well I didn't give up. I kept trying. Mr. Ben stated that I have dedication because I suppose he saw that I was not going to give up. I told him that I have always wanted to learn how to play the drums. Then he brought the bass gutair in to try help me balance everything out. It helped but I still could not keep everything in balance. By this time it was time to go.

As we went out to the car Mr. Ben explained to me that he was going to allow me to borrow a snare drum for me to parcatice on which on the positive side would help out a bunch because I do not own a drum set but on the negative drive my dad insane. He showed it to me and told me that both I and Shanya should enjoy it. Then we left Nuci and he headed to my house. We had a nice conversation on the way down the highway. When we arrived to my house he helped me put my load in the house and told me that I did a good job today.

No comments: